Saturday, May 16, 2009

A promise is a promise

So, most of you probably already know that I promised Matt back in March (when we thought that the surgery would most likely catch all the cancer) that if he had to have chemo, then I would let him do whatever he wanted with my hair. For the past few years, I have been repeating a cycle of growing my hair long enough to donate to Locks of Love, and then having it chopped off. For the past few years, Matt has begged me to try different things with my hair, but I don't really care that much about my hair, and don't like to spend time or money on it. So I thought that if Matt had to do chemo (and lose his eyebrows and eyelashes, his biggest fear) then it would be proper to do my own little "Locks of Love" project a bit closer to home. Instead of donating my hair, I promised to get it cut, colored, permed, whatever Matt wanted, at the hands of a well trained professional.

That's not exactly how it worked out. First, Matt still has not lost his eyebrows OR eyelashes. But, like the title says, a promise is a promise. I have learned my lesson. I should have been more specific. "If your eyebrows fall out, you can have total reign over my hair" would have been better. Second, we have NOT had the time to find a well trained professional, and I started getting really sick of my hair as it started getting hotter outside. Third, it's been kinda boring around here lately.

So the other night, we decided to throw caution to the wind, and I let Matt take a pair of scissors to my locks*. My lovely lady locks. I have to say it was fun. At first Matt was scared, but after a few times of me repeating "I don't care if you screw it up, I'll just shave it off, I've done it before, and you may never cut hair again, so enjoy yourself" he loosened up and we had a blast, along with just a few scary moments when Matt went hog-wild and almost stabbed me with the scissors. Ok, he did stab me with the scissors*, but he didn't draw blood, so we're cool. And of course we got some funny pics :)

*I know you are wondering. We were totally sober. I swear. :)


The look in my eyes makes me pretty
sure that this pic was shot after the
accidental stabbing.



But it didn't turn out half bad. I like it a lot :) It's very
layery and and it looks quite nice when rockin' the dogwood
blossom, which just happens to be the state flower (or is
it tree?) for NC. My 4th grade teacher would be ashamed.






7 comments:

abi said...

Flower. The state tree is the Pine. Weren't you paying attention to Mrs. Freeman?

Looks cute. :)

Anonymous said...

I think your hair looks too cute! Way to go!

Kathy K.

Courtney said...

Very classy!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the complients. Elena tells me I need bangs so that we will have the same hair. I hope she doesn't try to give me bangs in my sleep when we go camping next weekend.

Abi- Mrs. Freeman would cringe. I'll send you something pretty if you can tell me who we had for third grade. We got split up in fifth grade. They put me, you and Amy all in separate classes. I wonder why? I'll send you something absolutely beautiful if you can remember who we each had as teachers in fifth grade :)

Can someone tell my why I remember all of this essentially useless info, yet I can never seem to remember where I put my keys?

Erin said...

i love the hair. sux i was sleeping in ur bed during. i thought u 2 were up to something!! i yes, i can vouch, you were sober. well done matt. can i make an appt for this friday? and i cant wait to come see it in person rachel. if its short enuf to play with wax, i have all kinds!! had a huge weekend i have to tell yall about. call me when you get this since you're never on messenger :P

J Smilanic said...

Any hair cut is going to look better with Elena in the picture! Clever...

It really does look good.

liz almighty said...

gorgeous! and i'm sorry, but my phone was on the desk buried underneath papers, so i never saw the text you sent me. i was totally up.... and i still am now at 8:34am. i haven't been around much lately, even on facebook. lots of stuff going on. so let's make a date and i'll be on. :)