Monday, May 11, 2009

It me birthday yesterday!!

Thank you to everyone who sent birthday wishes my way in one way, shape or form yesterday. Mad props to Liz, who commented via the blog ;)

I had a great birthday. I sure all of you can guess that I was ready to kiss 27 goodbye and watch the door hit it in the ass on the way out, so needless to say, I was very excited about my birthday this year. 27 sucked. Hopefully 28 will be much better. 27 was full of heartache. It is a year that I will never forget mostly for negative reasons. Two failed pregnancies, dad's tumor, Matt's cancer, and a couple of deaths in the family are just the first things that pop into mind when I think about what has happened in my life since my 27th birthday. I could probably think of more sad stuff, but who wants to sit around and do that?

The point is, even though it sucked, I have learned a lot in the last year about happiness, love, gratitude, compassion and how to take what you life gives you and do the best that you can with it. There are a lot of things that have happenned that made me want to run for the hills and become a total recluse so that the world couldn't get me anymore. Even though it wasn't the best year ever, I am thankful to have lived through it and for having the chance to see strength and love in myself and the people around me. I always knew that it existed, but now I know better than before that it is solid, and knowing that is a good feeling. It's the only measure of safety I can have in this totally unpredictable world. When I think about all that I have learned this year, about appreciation, hidden strength, gratitude, sympathy, peace, and what is really important, using the word "thankful" seems trite.

Even though life often seems like an episode of "As The World Turns", I am ready for my next trip around the sun and the joy that I hope it brings. Happy Birthday to me :)



Celebrating with the family. Judging by the look on
Mamaw's face, I think I may have dropped an F-bomb
right before Matt shot this pic. Mamaw has started a new policy:
each time I say that word, it's costing me a quarter. Now
the economy is hitting me EXTRA hard :b


Heather remembered to bring the
Sesame Street shirt that says "Party
Animal" on the front, and "It me birthday"
on the back. I think I made her wear it
for two birthdays, so happy that she
remembered to carry on the tradition :)


With Waylon




Erin on balloon duty. I think she has a new
sympathy for Brenda now :) (sorry, inside
joke, but I couldn't resist.)

4 comments:

Erin said...

lmao, love it ;)

Suzi said...

Hi Rachel! Sorry I missed you on your birthday! Hope you and Matt are doing better. I saw your Mom yesterday and she said Matt was not doing well. Love to both of you,Suzi

Anonymous said...

Suzi- I didnt even notice that you missed my bday! You should have kept your mouth shut!! Just kidding :)

Matts doing pretty well actually, nothing that wasnt expected or can't be fixed. Mom worries way too much, bless her heart.

I'll try to get in touch with you this weekend. If not, life should slow down for us next week and we NEED to get together! I miss you!

Much love, and thank you for everything you do,
Rachel and Matt

liz almighty said...

MAD PROPS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! thank you for that.... made me feel awesome! :)