Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's gonna be a short one tonight, kids. Mama has been waiting on this glass of champagne for 8 years.


I never thought I would live to see the day that a black person or woman held the office of the President of the United States of America. I always knew that it would happen one day. That eventually someone who would have previously been labeled as "downtrodden" would be sitting at he top. 100 years ago women couldn't vote. 50 years ago a black man had to sit at the back of the bus. In January 2009, a black man will take his seat in the oval office. I feel like I have lived through a piece of history that I will never forget. How will I ever explain it to the kids that I don't have yet, that being a minority used to be a real disadvantage? I am actually proud to be an American tonight. Maybe now I can take a trip to Europe and not feel like I have to tell everyone that I am Canadian :)

No comments: